Re: PROPATAGIAL INNERVATIONS and Re: Feathers again

Darren Naish wrote:

> David's speculation that a propatagium may have been useful in
>  minimising elbow overextension in predators and climbers is indeed
>  interesting.

     I am wondering if a force sufficient to overextend the elbow might
not also be sufficient to rip a patagium right down the middle.  How
powerful of forces are we talking about, and how strong would the
patagium (AND the skin it is attached to) have to be to resist them?

and, Antoni Lacasa wrote:

] 3.- Insulate is different of the waterproofing function.

] Perhaps therefore, those small, dino-birds protected their bodies with
] this clothing as consequence of feeding in an aquatic medium would tend
] to reduce corporal temperature encouraging insulating,waterproof feather
] covering to preserve thermal balance...

     Maybee they just didn't want to freeze after it rained.  In this
light, the water-proofing advantage is a good point.  Does anyone have
data on how much better birds with waterproofed feathers retain heat when
they get wet than mammals?

LN Jeff
0-
"You might combine the two...create the impression that you are
raffleing off the booth babes."