RE: Bipedal apatosaurs and stegosaurs?

Peter Buchholz wrote:

> Exactly.  Another point I'd like to make, that I tried to make in an
> earlier post, is that it is absolutely not space efficient in a
> semi-dense to dense forest to be a Diplodocoid walking around on all
> fours.

1.  Nobody has any idea how dense the forest was (or how large the trees
were) in ANY sauropod inhabited environment.

2.  Sauropods had long but very FLEXIBLE necks and tails.  Why would they
have had a problem manuvering around trees?  I think that saying they
couldn't have moved around in a forest on all fours is like saying an
anaconda couldn't possibly inhabit a jungle because it is longer than the
distance between trees.  The only really limiting factor for a sauropod
would be the WIDTH of its body, and bipedal walking certainly wouldn't
fix that.

3.  The front legs of sauropods are pretty massively built, with big
scapulae.  It would be kind of an overkill in design if all they were
doing with thier legs was steadying themselves against trees.

LN Jeff
"You're out of your tree."
"Its not my tree."