RE: Bipedal apatosaurs and stegosaurs?

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Jeffrey Martz wrote:
> 3.  The front legs of sauropods are pretty massively built, with big
> scapulae.  It would be kind of an overkill in design if all they were
> doing with thier legs was steadying themselves against trees.
        Yes, but less so in diplodocids and dicraeosaurs than in animals
like Brachiosaurus, Camarasaurus, etc. Although they are more robust than
those of obligate bipeds, and more robust than those of facultative
quadrupeds like duckbills.
        And as for problems with balance- couldn't we make the same
arguments about humans, which stand bipedally and which in males have the
CG in the chest, and couldn't we argue the problems faced by the
long-necked moas in keeped the head steady? And elephants and bears rear
up, and possess none of the multiple specializations among the diplodocids
that would make them so much better at it than Kodiak bears and Jumbo.
I've never heard of a Kodiak bear falling down ("GROWL! I've fallen and I
can't get up!" ;) )