Re: Feathers? The fossils say yes!

> be feathers! It is truly an incredible fossil. The feathers run, as noted,
> from the back of the neck down toward the tail, and are distributed in a
> sort of patchy manner- in little clumps- up and down the top and bottom of
> the tail.

     Is this natural, or could it be due to deterioration of the carcass
after death?

> There is also another of these, but it did not appear to
> have any trace of the feathers (although it seems likely that closer
> inspection could reveal otherwise).

     I wonder if this difference might have any bearing on the lack of
_Copsognathus_ feather impressions from Solnholfen.
     Whoever mentioned the juvenile dromeosaur with skin impressions:
Does it have feathers or scales?  Most of the theropod
skin impressions I have heared of seem to show scaley skin (with
the apparent exceptions of _Paleocanimimus_ and _Sinosauropteryx_), and this
would seem to caution even more against liberally assigning
feathers to theropods in general.
     Could someone give a listing of all the theropod skin impressions
they know of that clearly show scaley skin?

LN Jeff
"Yes, gifted children can often appear to be stupid.  But stupid children
can also often appear to be stupid."
       (or something like that: _Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency_)