Re: Mysteriasaur?

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Jason Ashley wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> First, please let me tell you that I am simply an interested amateur and I
> promise not to spam this list with stupid questions that I could otherwise
> find elsewhere.  I'm content to sit back and listen and learn.
>
> I do however, have one burning question that I cannot find any answer to
> although maybe that answer is just on the horizon.  It's this:
>
> On my last visit to the American Museum of Natural History I saw something
> displayed that really intrigued me.  Shoved off in the corner of the
> exhibit were two fossilized forearms mouted on the wall that look
> remarkably like T. Rex forearms except they were HUGE!  Though they were
> articulated it appeared to me the arms could extend to a full length of two
> meters or so and were porportionately thick.  The description beneath them
> said that the arms were the only parts of the specimen ever found but that
> if an entire skeleton were ever to be discovered and the creature was
> proportionate to the arms displayed that it would be, "....the largest
> animal that has ever existed on earth".

        These arms are named Deinocheirus (terrible hand) and the animal
may have been related to ostrich-dinosaurs like Ornithomimus. These
dinosaurs had long front arms, and one would guess that Deinocheirus
probably weighed a few tons- perhaps the size of a T. rex or maybe
somewhatbigger. There is another huge set of arms, about eight feet long
including the claws, called Therizinosaurus. Therizinosaurus had
meter-long claws. Therizinosaurus is a type of dinosaur known as a
segnosaur, segnosaurs are related to the birdlike meat-eating dinosaurs,
but had very short, stocky hindlimbs, huge, clawed front arms, and small
toothed beaked jaws, they might have eaten plants, or termites, but they
probably didn't eat meat. Ostrich dinosaurs could have been herbivores as
well.

 So I'm wondering, does anyone know