Re: DINOSAUR digest 87

Achut Reddy commented:

>BTW, _Exocoetidae_ (flying fish) is another counter-example to
>your gravity argument.  It has to overcome not only gravity,
>but also the viscosity of the water in order to become airborne.
>But I have never seen a fish climb up a tree first :-)

The mudskipper, a small fish which often leaves the water and gets about
surprisingly well along the shoreline, can climb roots and branches near
the water. Its pectoral fins, if I recall correctly, are modified for
grasping and a floppy sort of walking. So in a few million years, who knows
what its descendants will be doing?

 Steve Jackson - yes, of SJ Games - yes, we won the Secret Service case
Learn Web or die - http://www.io.com/sjgames/ - dinosaurs, Lego, Kahlua!
          The heck with PGP keys; finger for Geek Code. Fnord.