lips and beaks

I was thinking the other day about how, in "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World,"
Greg Paul suggested that because of the large number of blood vessel openings
in the nasals and premaxillae of "Protobirds" (Dromeosaurs, Archaeopteryx,
Elmisaurs, Oviraptors, Ornithomimisaus, Troodonts, and Avimimus), the
possibly had some sort of "proto-beaks."

Tyrannosaurs (and other old-school Carnosaurs) are often pictured with lips
because of the large number of blood vesel openings in the premaxillae and
maxillae of these dinosaurs.

I have a question.  Is there any structural difference between beak vesel
openings and lip vesel openings?  A strange thought occured to me while I was
thinking about it: beaked Tyrannosaurs.  Could this be possible since
Tyrannosaurs are now known to be closer to Ornithomimisaurs and Oviraptors
than to any other old-school carnosaur (Allosaurs, Megalosaurs, Ceratosaurus,
Dilophosaurus, Spinosaurs etc)?

Peter "I think beaked Tyrannosaurs would be stranger than feathered
Therizinosaurs" Buchholz

gpb6845@msu.oscs.montana.edu

'Tis like the birthday of the world