Dinosaur Genera List correctins #62

Lots of interesting stuff at the SVP, including copies of the following
paper:

Kranz, P. M., 1996. "Notes on the sedimentary iron ores of Maryland and their
dinosaurian fauna," Maryland Geological Survey Special Publications #3:
87-115.

This contains illustrations of an ornithopod tooth and the following notation
on page 107:

"The dinosaur from which the tooth came is still very poorly understood, it
is not a named dinosaur. Thus for identification purposes, I tentatively
propose the unoccupied name _Magulodon muirkirkensis_, meaning 'Cheektooth of
Muirkirk.' "

Peter Kranz had a cast of the tooth at the conference. It is about a cm tall,
so the dinosaur it came from was probably the size of a _Tenontosaurus_.
Kranz notes that most paleontologists who have seen the tooth belileve it
belonged to a dryosaur, though some think it might have belonged to a
ceratopian (not likely, in my opinion). "If the former, it is one of the
latest; if the latter, one of the earliest," wrote Kranz. I noted small
denticles grouped in threes, as in _Drinker_, though the tooth is about twice
the size of a _Drinker_ tooth. Call it provisionally ?Hypsilophodontidae.

So add this genus to the list:

Magulodon Kranz, 1996 [nomen nudum]

And bump the genera count to 797. (We're closing in on 800, aren't we...?)