Royal Tyrrell Museum Update: #11

 Just a short posting this time. I've been playing around with my email
software which resulted in my losing some of my old postings to this group
so the numbering system might be off by one or two. My last posting was the
one on the ceratopsian skeleton at Manyberries, Ab.

[That one was #10, so it looks like your numbering system survived
 your playing. -- MR ]

 Regarding the Ex Terra exhibit of Canadian and Chinese dinosaurs. This is
going to Australia. Here are some rough dates:

 Sydney Dec. 26, 1996.
 Melbourne June 8, 1997.
 Brisbane Oct ?, 1997.

 Each show will run about three months.

 Sorry to say but I have yet more tyrannosaur discoveries to announce!!

 1) Possible skull. This is just outside the city of Edmonton. The photos
sent by an amateur are suggestive of an articulated skull in ventral view
with the bottoms of the lower jaws showing. I'm going to see this next week.

 2) Phil Currie visited a site near Drumheller and confirmed a new, small
tyrannosaur to collect. There are limb bones and a maxilla showing. More
material is going back into the hill.

 3) Some of you may remember Phil Currie's and my talk (given by Brooks
Britt) on face-biting behavior in large theropod dinosaurs. Well, I have
always believed the pathologies on these jaws were healed/healing remnants
of intraspecific bites but it could not be proved for certain. Well now we
can. Today I was shown a new tyrannosaur dentary fragment with a tyrannosaur
tooth tip embedded into the bone. The tooth tip fits perfectly (snugly) into
the hole it made and there is reactive post-traumatic bone growth around the
rim of the hole proving this injury was received in life. There is also no
question the tooth tip is tyrannosaur as there are serrations on it. The
tooth tip is near the symphsis and close to the ventral edge of the dentary
and is pushed in at right angles to the long axis of the jaw. There is
matrix firmly attached to the broken base of the embedded tooth, so we are
not missing any of this. Very neat stuff and an exciting afternoon for me!!
:) :) ;)

 Darren Tanke, Technician I, Dinosaur Research Program, Royal Tyrrell Museum
of Palaeontology, Drumheller, Alberta, Canada.
 Interested in all aspects of centrosaurine ceratopsians, paleopathology,
recent and fossil dento- and osteopathy; senior editor on annotated
bibliography of extinct/extant vertebrate dental pathology, osteopathy and
related topics (10,035 entries as of Oct. 16, 1996).

 IMMISERICORS INSEQUOR DE SCIENTIA

 Visit the OSTEOPATHY BIBLIOGRAPHY HOMEPAGE at:
http://dns.magtech.ab.ca/dtanke