RE: met Novacek- oviraptor questions(mostly)

 I wrote >> and TomH responded..>.....

>>question #1-if this was a desert, what molluscs were present?

>There is always the possibility of snails in alkaline lakes...

but wouldn't a sand storm that dropped enough
sediment-or-grit-or-what-ever-you-want-to-call-it that buried these large
and healthy animals ALSO  have dropped the sediment on any water in the
area and thus ALSO burying any mollusc remains? (which seem to be missing
from any site in the area, or at least from the data as was presented in
the slideshow).  I've been in sandstorms in the Mojave.  Dirt just goes
where it wants to and wouldn't skip falling on (and therefore into)
water.

>>Qestion #4- not Oviraptor related- since both Stegasaurs AND Ankylosaurs
>>have tail spikes, are both species' tail spikes "thagomisers" or is that
>>term saved for only one group?

>My preference is to reserve "thagomizer" for the tail weapons of
>stegosaurians (the lateroposteriorally directed tail spines), and to
>use "tail club" more generally for the bulbous knobs at the ends of
>the tails of ankylosaurids and euhelopodids (and other forms).

my question was raised when a particular slide of an ankylosaurid found
near the "brooding Oviraptor" site showed a 4-spike tail end (the several
vertebrae from the tail knob included) just sitting on the surface of the
ground.  These weren't knobby-looking but were very prounounced
mace-looking with chunky but recogniseable spikes.  Would these still be
termed a 'tail club' or can I describe it as I see it and call them tail
spikes? I wouldn't have called them bulbous since they weren't really.

 -Betty Cunningham