Re: Bipedality

In a message dated 96-10-26 17:27:52 EDT, DPterosaur@AOL.COM writes:

> _Chlamydosaurus_ [the Australian frillneck lizard] is pugnacious and
> highly territorial, aggressively chasing men carrying 16mm cameras
> out of its "zone".  It spends 95% of its time hanging vertically on
> tree trunks, waiting for prey (caterpillars or massed swarms of
> bees, wasps and winged termites) and surveying for rivals. The trees
> give it a better view. Standing upright does as well when they
> descend.

Interesting and unusual connection between bipedality and arboreality. At
this point the only thing I can say with any degree of definiteness about
bipedality and the arboreal lifestyle is that once the forelimbs cease being
used for portal locomotion, other uses open up to them, one of which is
climbing. As adaptations accumulate toward the latter use, it must become
increasingly difficult for the forelimbs to revert to the former use,
eventually making bipedality likelier than quadrupedality in any large,
cursorial descendants of climbing arboreal animals.