Kicking Predators

Rob Meyerson wrote:

>>An animal doesn't necessarily have to keep an eye on a predator to
>>get in a good hit.  When a lion is attacking a zebra, the latter
>>will intersperse it's gallop with a well placed kick in an attempt
>>to drive off/injure the former.

To which Darren Naish replied:

(Snip)>If a zebra is being chased by a lion, it's doing dam well best
>it can to get out of there at top speed. If you can prove that what
>you've said is backed by any version of reality, I'll gladly retract
>my statement and publicly apologise.

As a matter of fact, the Sunday, Oct. 27 "National Geographic Explorer"
showed just that.   Lions were chasing a Cape buffalo, who was running at
full speed while giving the lions some well paced (and placed) kicks.

This is also reminiscent of the thread where a threatened apatosaur could
merely "fall" onto a predator.  The Cape buffalo is several times larger than
a lion, whose strategy with the buffalo is to get him to the ground by any
means possible.  (Lions try to hamstring the buffalo, jump onto his back to
try to sever the spinal cord, latch onto the throat or muzzle to try to
suffocate him.)  The >last< place an apatosaur or stegosaur would want to be
is flat on the ground if he missed the body slam.   Kicks or tail whips would
seem to be a good defensive strategy.

What _would_ be the vulnerable areas on an apatosaur?

Mary Kirkaldy
mkirkaldy@aol.com