Re: FEATHERS 2

Jeff Poling wrote:

>  How many non-maniraptoriformes or non-coelurosaurs have been
>  preserved in sedimentation that could preserve such feathers?

     I seem to remember the gentleman who did his work on feather
taphonomy noting that feathers are actually slower to decay then skin
(and therefore, scales).  I stupidly erased the posting, but if this is
the case I would interpret this to mean if feather impressions are MORE
LIKELY to be preserved than skin impressions, so the types of
conditions that preserve skin impressions should be at least as likely
to preserve feather impressions.
     In summary, if skin rots faster then feathers, we should expect
feather impressions to be at least as common under the same preservational
circumstances, if feathers were really widespread.
     Keep in in mind we are talking about IMPRESSIONS.  Not
neccessarily particular chemical conditions that would preserve some trace
(such as a carbon stain) the actual feather, but just taking the skin
and/or feather and pressing it into the sediment to leave an impression.

LN Jeff
0-