flying fish

Stevet sez that flying fish don't have much advantage by flying because the
bigger predator would get them. Flying fish that I am familiar with (personal
viewing) travel from 100 to 200 meters before they enter the water for the
most part. That'll lose almost anyone. They don't really turn because they
have dihedral wings that tend to get them back on a straight path. 'They
suplement their original leap by "swimming" with their tail fins as they come
on swells. Prettty little fish. I have caught them up on the superstructure
on a destroyer which is about 20/25 feet up. And indeed they flap and it
seems to speed them up but I made no measurements.

paul sparks