Crater Chains

Date: 7 Sep 1996 02:06:29 GMT
From: Frank Crary <fcrary@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re[2]: craters and the k/t (Norm King)

In article <DxAFB1.263@eskimo.com>, Brian Pickrell <pmaker@eskimo.com> wrote:
>The recent event on Jupiter is probably not a good model for Earth
>impacts; Earth has a much weaker gravitational field than Jupiter, and is
>less likely to either break up a nearby comet or capture all the pieces
>afterwards.
>So it's possible that this crater was accompanied by others that aren't
>there any more, but the odds are against it.  What percentage of the
>craters on the Moon or Mars are members of crater chains?  I don't know,
>but I think it's pretty small.

Actually, a fair fraction of the larger craters are associated with
crater chains. The problem is that the term is a bit vague. On
Mars and (I think) the Moon, these chains are small craters
extending out in a line away from a large crater. They are
thought to be the result of large debris ejected by the large impact
which (for some unknown reason) were all ejected in the same direction.
That isn't anything like S/L-9 or the crater chains on some of
the Galilean satellites of Jupiter, but it is a crater chain.

                                                    Frank Crary
                                                    CU Boulder