Re: Royal Tyrrell Museum Update #9: Fieldwork

In a message dated 96-09-10 10:51:49 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
Martz) writes:

>      What is the word on Phil Currie's Tyrannosaur study?  I hear he
> might be making a case for putting Daspleteosaurus in whith
> Albertosaurus.

Quite the opposite, actually. Phil recently wrote that he can now distinguish
_Daspletosaurus_ from _Albertosaurus_ from practically any part of the
skeleton.

>      I'd also like to hear opinions on taxonomic assignments based
> on teeth.  This is apparently unadvisible with most types of
> dinosaurs, but I understand that theropod teeth are quite
> diagnostic, which is why Phil Currie and Ken Carpenter advocate the
> ligitamacy of Aublysodon, and place the Jordan Theropod
> ("Stigyvenator") within this genus.

One look at the _Stygivenator_ type jaws and the "_Aublysodon_" material in
the Oklahoma Museum should convince anyone that these belong in separate
genera, if not separate families.