Re: k/t "bone spike"

Bonnie Blackwell, x 3332 wrote:

> If the impact occurred and caused the acid rain suggested by the modellers
> it is not hard to see why a bone spike would be the last thing that you
> would expect to find.  Consider for a moment the boundary clay.  What ever
> produced that had to erode many rocks to produce that clay everywhere we
> see the boundary.  That sort of erosion implies very large quantities of
> very acidic water falling out of the sky.

My impression is that the clay boundary was thought to indicate
aeolian disperssion resulting directly from the impact event.

If it does represent an erosional nonconformity, shouldn't its
chemistry vary to correspond to changes in locally underlying
strata?  Has this been found to be the case?

Since I live on a stack of red-clay marked unconformities, I
suppose I should have thought of this before, but I guess I
never considered the actual depositional environment of the
clay boundary.

    __     Mark Sumner
   /  \    http://www.sff.net/people/sumner
  /    \   DEVIL'S TOWER Preview at http://www.inlink.com/~range