4-TOED THEROPODS, TENDAGURU GIANT CARNOSAUR

> I haven't read the article yet, just the abstract.  Is it possible
> that these four-toed theropods are segnosaurs (therizinosauroids to
> some) - the first evidence of such from North America.

> Tim Williams

Jerry Harris (one of the authors, and ??.. a list member) and others discussed
these ichnites like, last year, and Jerry said they couldn't be from known
segnosaurians: the pedal morphology of the latter is quite different from the
one that would have made the prints. I forget if this was because of the degree
of digit-divergence from metatarsi, or because of digit slimness.. or both?

Other tetradactyl 'theropod' ichnites have been described. There are
webbed ones from Mongolia or China (David Norman mentions them in
IEOD, suggesting that _they_ might be segnosaurian, and consequently
has a Sibbickian fish-eating web- footed erlikosaur dashing through a
pond), and Dale Russell mentions ?Canadian ones in Oddsey (with the
comment: [paraphrased] We don't know what this creature may have
looked like. It must have been real weird..). I really should check
the technical literature before making comments like these..

TENDAGURU GIANTS

About 15 or so years ago, there was news of a new, giant carnosaur
from Tendaguru that supposedly approached a big tyrannosaur in size: I
think it was mentioned in a few editions of 'Guiness Book of Records',
and said to be 15 m or so long. Known from postcrania, it is not
'_Megalosaurus' ingens_, a taxon named on teeth. Has anyone heard of
it? While on the subject, what has become of _Allosaurus
tendagurensis_? Isn't this based on something pathetic like a single
bone? I think I asked pretty much the same question here on the list
ages ago. I forget the answer.

"Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?"
"No"
"Good. It would be most unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here".

DARREN NAISH