Re: Questions About Raptors

Tom Holtz wrote:

> Actually, "raptor" (without the apostrophe) is growing to become the common
> name for Dromaeosauridae (the family including Dromaeosaurus, Velociraptor,
> Deinonychus, Utahraptor, and relatives).  Lessem and Peters have a kid's
> book (with great illos) out on this).
>
> Maniraptora, by definition, includes the birds (as a concept, it REQUIRES
> birds to be included), so raptorial birds fall within your last paragraph
> above.

    Yes, but not all birds are referred to as raptors.  In other words,
we have a group that includes all birds, one particular group of which has
been called "raptors" for centuries, and some small meat eating dinosaurs,
one group of which has recently been granted the nickname "raptor" by pop
culture (god help us - remember what Land Before Time did for dinosaur
terminology), and you want to apply the term "raptors" to the whole group?
That would mean calling hummingbird and pelicans "raptors".  I liked Jurassic
Park too, but puh-leeeeze.... trendy terminology can get thouroughly
annoying.  Whats wrong with "dromeosaurs"?  I love the way it rolls off
the tounge.  Make pop culture representations of dinosaurs conform to science,
not the other way around.

LN Jeff, Y.S.
0-
"I didn't like him anyway...he wasn't right in the head."