Re: again: frill of Triceratops

A lot seems to be said about the frills of ceratopsians but probably a
little evolutionary analysis would help. First of all I would like to
know if the belief that the pachycephalosaur skull margin ornamentation
and the ceratopsian frill are homologous is well established. Anyhow I
assume that to be the case and believe that the frill evolved through a
process of reinforcement. Initially it evolved  due to sexual selection.
Subsequently it gave a an oppurtunity for jaw muscle attachment and again
it was reinforced by sexual selection. Possibly this occurred  many
times in evolution like the Austropithecus. robustus cranial crest. I
feel that in cicadelloids the ornamentation of thoracic segment 3 also
arose by such a process. So it is very possible that full use is made of
any new organ to do all possible things.

                                    .    .

                      STEGOSAURS WERE INTERESTING HERBIVORES
ARAVIND. L
4302 COLLEGE MAIN,