Re: again: frill of Triceratops

At 11:33 AM 9/17/96 -0500, Martin Westmeier writes:

>I was a bit disappointed because nobody gave an answer to my
>question about the frill of Triceratops. So here's a little bit
>information about the background of my question: Catherine A. Forster wrote
>in her recent article about the skull of Triceratops (JVP 16(2), June
>1996; pp 246-258), that the frill was heavily vascularized. Couldn't
>this lead to the presumption, that the frill had a function in
>Thermoregulation? Does anybody know, if this function was suggested
>before? (I think it must have!) Is anybody out there who can give me
>further information (Refs)?

It is possible that the frill could have been used for
thermoregulation.  However, the frill of T-tops is a fairly thick and
massive structure, not one designed for heat gain/loss.  If it did
fill this role, it would be amazingly inefficient.  It is far more
likely that this vascularization is simply a sign of a frill-feature
that required immense blood flow.  Perhaps the head muscles got a
great workout over the course of a T-tops' day?

Any other ideas?
Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***