polarity of bipedality in dinosaurs

Hello,
        I have been reading with great enthusiasm all of the different
strands but I have a question. I the discussion about forelimbs it was
mentioned several times about the move toward bipedalism. In my Dinosaur
class here at UC Davis it was mentioned that dinos primative condition was
bipedal and they were secondarily quadrupedal. Is this no longer the case,
was I not listening that day ? Please explain which is the primative
condition and the significance of that with the return to bipedalism in
therapods.
Thanks in advance.
                -Jen