Re: again: frill of Triceratops

At 04:30 PM 9/19/96 -0500, Betty Cunningham writes:

>If not blushing, could there be a skinflap connected with this extra
>blood supply on a Triceratops' head to erect or inflate or whatever?
>Or are these sort of displays not connected with the type of
>vascularization that Triceratops shows?

I could go along with this.  Since ceratopian frills are prominant
features, some paleo types have suggested that the frills could double
as intimidation features, especially during rutting season.  I would
support the idea of an additional feature to make the frill stand out
even more than normal.  Perhaps the vascularization would indicate
that the skin on the frill (perhaps a sack of some kind) would become
engorged with blood, giving the frill a nice and attractive red color.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
Homer Simpson in the bakery: Dough!