Re: Lung ventilation rates

In article <199609231452.JAA08069@juliet.ucs.indiana.edu>, Jeffrey
Martz <martz@holly.ColoState.EDU> writes
>Gautam Majumdar wrote:
>
>    Yeah, but isn't this an abnormal condition?  The kideys are being
>used as an emergency back up system, but they aren't normally controlling
>the acid base balance to this extent, are they?  How could they keep
>this increased level of activity if the problem is not corrected?  I think
>that the CO2 is NORMALLY the the driving force of respiration tells you
>something.  I note that evolution has not seen fit to provide some sort of
>back up system to control hypoxia (altering the oxygen content of the air they
>inhale isn't something most organisms can do), presumably because it isn't as
>common a problem.

Yes, you are right. Hypercapnia does not occur under physiological
conditions because even in very shallow breathing with normal lungs
CO2 is easily passed across the alveolar membrane. And animals
cannot induce hypercapnia voluntarily (except in experimental
conditions by breathing air artificially enriched with CO2). Kidneys are
not the emergency back up system for maintaining the acid base
balance. They are the prime organs for this purpose. Metabolism
produces a multitude of organic and inorganic acids. Lungs can get
rid of only the volatile acids, such as H2CO3. All other acids are
excreted by the kidneys. People live for decades with chronic
hypercapnia - kidneys are pretty efficient for this purpose.

However, animals can and do alter the oxygen content of their inhaled
air. Birds do that during high altitude flight and terrestrial animals,
specially humans, do that during climbing or trekking up the
mountains. And there are compensatory mechanisms for low oxygen
content in the inhaled air. Kidneys, those magnificent organs, sense
hypoxia and elaborate erythropoietin which stimulates bone marrow
to produce extra red cells and haemoglobin (compensatory
polycythaemia). The purpose is to increase the efficiency of the
carrier system. Secondly, the level of 2,3-DPG in the red cells goes
up. That reduces the oxygen affinity of haemoglobin, so more
oxygen is released into the tissues. Normally, in humans, only 60% of
the oxygen is released into the tissues and the rest remains tied up
with the haemoglobin. Under severe hypoxia this can go up to almost
75%. Some animals, such as whales, can release 90% of the oxygen
from their red cells.

Gautam Majumdar                 gautam@majumdar.demon.co.uk