SAKIS ARE _NOT_ SIFAKAS OF COURSE..

At 14:03 24/09/96 -0500, Darren Naish wrote:
>In comments on Feduccia's new book, Ronald Orenstein says:
>
>> (Though Feduccia cites an example I have never heard, the sakis of
>> South America, which seem to glide on long fur extending from the
>> forearms. Weird.).
>
>I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not here, Ron;) The above statement
>is obviously a garbled cock-up referring to the Madagascan sifakas
>(_Propithecus_), and I know that Ron knows as much about these critters as
>anyone.

Darren, I meant exactly what I said.  Feduccia was referring to sakis, not
sifakas.  From p. 97:

"Among New World primates, which lack prehensile tails, there are numerous
semi-aerial adaptations, and the sakis of the genus Pithecia are notable
among them.  Pithecia monachus, known locally as volador (flier), has a long
body, with moderately long arms and legs, and its pelage, or body hair, isa
distinctlve long, rather coarse, grizzled blackish fur.  Sakis prefer mature
moist forest.... where they frequently glide in flying squirrel fashion."

Feduccia compares their gliding abilities to those of sifakas (they are
apparently a lot better at it) and includes photos of both.

By the way, Noel Rowe's new "Pictorial Guide to the Living Primates"
(Pogonias Press 1996) notes that wwhite-faced sakis (P. pithecia) are called
"flying jacks" in Guyana.

So there!

PPS: there are three species of sifaka, not two - you forgot the recently
described Golden-crowned Sifaka P. tattersalli.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5