Re: Feduccia (was: polarity of bipedality in dinosaurs)

Norm King wrote:

> Of course, pterosaus have very short trunks, and the hind legs are not
> substantially involved in flight. Is there some other model for the
> ancestor of a pterosaur than a gliding quadruped?  If gliding quadruped
> is the model for pterosaurs, then could that not also be a model for
> birds?

    As I recall, one of the big problems with the ground up theory is
that Archaeopteryx's pectoralis muscles were too weak to provide the
extra power needed for a ground take off, so it had to jump out of trees.
     How valid is this, and how does the ground take off capabilities for
pterosaurs (particularly the earlier ones) compare?

LN Jeff
0-