Re: Feduccia (was: polarity of bipedality in dinosaurs)

 From: Dinogeorge@aol.com

 > The paleornithologists scoff at the idea of avian flight evolving from the
 > ground upward (rightly, in my opinion), which in turn leads them to scoff at
 > the cladistics (wrongly, in my opinion).

I agree with you here.

I have yet to see a truly adequate model for ground-up evolution
of flight.

But I do not think this necessarily implies BCF exactly.

I suspect that many small theropods were more or less arboreal, and that
birds evolved from this group. Perhaps arboreality was the original
differential adaptation of the Coelurosauria or Maniraptiformes. (If
Protoavis is, or includes, an early coelurosaur, I would say that
supports this idea).

The peace of God be with you.