Re: Spinosaur paper, at last

Rob Meyerson wrote:

>At 04:34 PM 9/26/96 -0500, Tom Holtz writes:
>
>>Spinosaurus maroccanus n. sp., known from three median cervical vertebrae,
>>two dentary fragments, and a dorsal neural arch.  Dentary seems to have been
>>only 3/4 the size of the type of S. aegyptiacus, but cervicals are longer.
>
>Any word on whether they have enough to determine the posture of the
>animal?  Rumor has it that Spinosaurus was *quadrepedal* (a first
>among theropods), and I'm looking for a little verification.

As there are no limb bones in this new specimen, it doesn't really add to
the discussion.

(The concept of Spinosaurus as a quadruped comes out of comparisons with
Baryonyx, which Charig & Milner think might have been a facultative
quadruped.  I remain convinceable but not convinced).

To answer an earlier query, the new species of Spinosaurus has longer
cervical centra as one of the (few) diagnostic features relative to the type.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

"There are some who call me...  Tim."
-- Tim the Enchanter, "Monty Python and Quest for the Holy Grail"

"Tim?!?  They called me TIM?!?!"
-- me, on seeing the credits to "The Ultimate Guide to T. rex"  :-)