Re: polarity of bipedality in dinosaurs

At 01:33 PM 9/27/96 -0500, Stan Friesen wrote:

>Except that bats don't really have any "excess" fingers - they are
>all used as *part* *of* *the* *wing*. In the protobirds only one finger
>was involved in the wing, the others *were* excess as far as flight
>was concerned.

        Yet the two that were excess are still around.  In Pterosaurs, not
all of them are *part* *of* *the* *wing*, as you say.  And protobirds had
plenty of uses for any their fingers, which is why they stopped losing their
fingers when flight came along.  I'm just don't buy George's argument, it
doesn't explain anything any better.

>cestor
?

        Wagner