Re: Feduccia (was: polarity of bipedality in dinosaurs)

In a message dated 96-09-29 16:00:42 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
Martz) writes:

>      What about Greg Paul's idea that dromeosaurs and birds are
> both descended from Archaeopteryx?

I don't think Greg was that specific; some kind of archaeopterygid would be
more likely. The skull and tail of _Archaeopteryx_ are too derived to have
been ancestral to the skulls and tails of the later dromaeosaurids. But an
earlier archaeopterygid (if we could call it that rather than simply
dino-bird), with a more primitive skull and retaining well-developed chevrons
in the tail instead of those little proximal caudal vestiges of
_Archaeopteryx_, would certainly have been a common ancestor for
_Archaeopteryx_ and later dromaeosaurids (and likely some other maniraptoran
groups as well). In this, Greg seems to have been correct (even though
Feduccia calls some of Greg's ideas a "fantasy" in his new book).