RE: Archaeopteryx feathers and taphonomy.

George Olshevsky writes (quoting Paul Davis):

>> 2. ALL the specimens of Archaeopteryx (both species) have feathers
>> preserved even the partially disarticulated ones
>
>I was not completely certain that this was the case, just off the
>top of my head. But I noted that most of them were feathered.

except for the Archie that was originally identified as a Compy-which
showed NO feathers-that Dr. Ostrom recently ID'd correctly by comparisons
of the bones of other Archies (wasn't it something like 27 points of
similarity?-I have no refs for this).  So, to intial examination, earlier
paleontologists thought as you did.....small theropod from the Solnhofen
WITH feathers-ARCHIE: small theropod from the Solnhofen WITHOUT
feathers-COMPY.
Seems it  would just be up to conditions of the fossilization to decide
which are Archie and which are Compy from this discription, now doesn't
it?

 -Betty Cunningham