RE: Where to go near San Francisco

Betty Cunningham wrote:

>Martin Human wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone, I'm off for a 2 week stay around San Francisco/San
>>Jose/Sierra Nevada soon.
>>
>>What/whom should I go and see, on foot or by car?
>
>well, the California Academy of Art in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park
>has the Dinosaur Society's travelling exhibit "THE DINOSAURS OF JRASSIC
>PARK" until January.  And on a weekday. a walk through the UC Berkeley's
>new Life Sciences building to see their T Rex mount, the triceratops
>skull in the ref library, and possibly (if they are installed by now)
>some realy impressive Icthyosaur slab-mounts, and my presonal favorite,
>the Parasaurolophus slab-mount from the old stairwell.  But these last
>may not be up yet.
> --Betty Cunningham

As Betty says, the Cal Academy of Science is a must-see (the Life Through
Time exhibit is excellent, featuring fun computer cladograms and amazing
dioramas (my fave being the Deinonychus one, although the Diatryma one is
nice too). The Blackhawk museum in the Bay Area has lots of cool
Pleistocene fossils, too. If you don't mind going a few hours south,
there's always the Monterey Bay aquarium (no dinos of course, but I felt I
had to give it a plug). Oh, and Pier 39 in S.F. has a movie/ride thing
called "Dino Island" which is so-so. Yes, I admit seeing it -- for the
computer animation at least -- although I won't admit how much I spent on
that 12-minute movie.

As far as UC-Berkeley goes, we're still moving in, but the T. rex mount is
up of course, along with our nice Pteranodon, and the Triceratops skull. A
cast of the Carnegie T. rex skull and a real Edmontosaurus skull are also
displayed on the first floor, along with a nice "garden" of
Cretaceous-esque plant life (various living examples of what the Cretaceous
flora was probably like).

We also have a few casts on display near the library, including a
Parasaurolophus skull, Archaeopteryx, Heterodontosaurus, juvenile
Maiasaura, Pterodactylus, and Compsognathus (I think). The former exhibits
in the Geology building are all gone; in storage for now.

A few used bookstores in Berkeley have a great assortment of dino books for
sale (dirt cheap) if you're into that scene. That's all I can think of for
now. Enjoy your stay!

--John R. Hutchinson