Re: Mononykus

You wrote:

>        Um... well, neck flexible = head being able to reach the ground.
>Ever watched a duck preen it's chest? Also, long legs = fast runner (good
>defense if your body is too big to bury(?)). Legs fold up like hydraulics on
>raisable platforms, bring body close to ground so arms can go to work. Ever
>seen a duck sit down? It isn't a perfect scenario, but it sounds ok, IMHO.

And amazingly the legs are a lot shorter than Mononykus so ducks don't have to
bend down much do they. Ducks lack the long pubes wich, if it's like normal
theropods and not birds, extend down to the knee. Makeing it diffi
cult to sit and get the arms down close to the ground.

>>What was the arm's [use]?
>        Something that required heavy muscles and a short moment arm (=
>power).<

True, or else it wouldn't have the short arms with large muscle attacement
areas.

 Unlikely to be a raptorial function (not fast enough, little reach).
>You'd asssume fingers would be helpful for grasping. Digging? Cracking
>things? Hanging on for dear life to the backs of ankylosaurs while it picks
>nits out of their backs?

Now there's an IDEA!!! :->

>>And what if the sternum of Mononykus isn't a sternum? What then?
>        Then major wackiness ensues.  What else could it be? I personally
>don't know enough about paleo, and I'm willing to take the word of Dr.s
>Perle, Norell, Novacek, and Chiappe until such time as I can research the
>material myself.

I have an idea and I'm waiting to hear from others, but my point mybe moot,
since MGI 100/977 is a nearly complete aticulated specimen.

Tracy