Re: Mononykus

Tracy Ford (he) wrote:   :)
>I did a drawing of Mononykus. Virtually no pelvis, and no tail!!!
        Yes, yes, thank you. The practice of restoring bits that weren't
found can be very confusing. For example, the ilium of _Mononykus_ was
restored as very dromaesaur/birdlike when hardly any of the blade was known
at the time (I hope they've found more, the ilium is very character-rich
("diagnostic")).

>To be a digger you need to be close to the ground! Mononykus has long legs
and had a high body. You need a short neck to keep the head close the the
ground and the length of the fore-limbs, both lacking in Mononykus.
        Um... well, neck flexible = head being able to reach the ground.
Ever watched a duck preen it's chest? Also, long legs = fast runner (good
defense if your body is too big to bury(?)). Legs fold up like hydraulics on
raisable platforms, bring body close to ground so arms can go to work. Ever
seen a duck sit down? It isn't a perfect scenario, but it sounds ok, IMHO.

>What was the arm's [use]?
        Something that required heavy muscles and a short moment arm (=
power). Unlikely to be a raptorial function (not fast enough, little reach).
You'd asssume fingers would be helpful for grasping. Digging? Cracking
things? Hanging on for dear life to the backs of ankylosaurs while it picks
nits out of their backs?

>And what if the sternum of Mononykus isn't a sternum? What then?
        Then major wackiness ensues.  What else could it be? I personally
don't know enough about paleo, and I'm willing to take the word of Dr.s
Perle, Norell, Novacek, and Chiappe until such time as I can research the
material myself.
      Jonathan R. Wagner, Dept. of Geosciences, TTU, Lubbock TX 79409
            Web Page:  http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~jrw6f