Re: Subject: Bird hibernation/torpor

John Bois writes;

>I also argue that
>dinos might not have gone out if there had  been grass.  As you say, none
>of this relates to causation of dinosaur extinction because grass did not
>exist back then.

Except that there is a lot more to a desert ecosystem than the angiosperm
population.  There are a few conifer species (one paleobotany theory states
that the conifer group evolved in arid/desert climates, with mostly
cold-tolerant species thriving today), and a few other "primitive" plant groups
that could have evolved arid-loving species.  Remember that the evolutionary
history of plants has been just as dynamic as the one for animals; certainly
the desert ecosystem of the Mesozoic is totally different, in flora and fauna,
than the one that exists today.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but  "That's funny ..."
       --  Isaac Asimov