Re: Subject: Bird hibernation/torpor

John Bois writes;

>I also argue that
>dinos might not have gone out if there had  been grass.  As you say, none
>of this relates to causation of dinosaur extinction because grass did not
>exist back then.

Except that there is a lot more to a desert ecosystem than the angiosperm
population.  There are a few conifer species (one paleobotany theory states
that the conifer group evolved in arid/desert climates, with mostly
cold-tolerant species thriving today), and a few other "primitive" plant groups
that could have evolved arid-loving species.  Remember that the evolutionary
history of plants has been just as dynamic as the one for animals; certainly
the desert ecosystem of the Mesozoic is totally different, in flora and fauna,
than the one that exists today.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but  "That's funny ..."
       --  Isaac Asimov