Re: Quick cladistics question

At 10:47 AM 3/31/97 -0600, Jonathan R. Wagner wrote:
>crown clades

   I did a search of the DML archives, usenet, and the web, and didn't find
a definition for a crown clade.  What is a crown clade?

   One other question:  I carefully reread the definitions for stem and node
based clades (and then did the requisite search of the archives).  It looks
like the only difference between a node and stem based clade is how each is
defined.  There has to be more to it than that ... what IS the difference?

   And one other one other question:  how is it decided when one definition
has precedence over the other?  As part of my example, you mentioned that
under those conditions Dinosauria would become synonomous with Archosauria,
and Archosauria would be sunk.  I thought Archosauria had been named first?

   (ya know, all this would be a lot easier if the local university library
and city library had books on this stuff.......)