Re: Chemosynthetic communities

In addition to those around volcanic vents there are very similar
communities found around hydrocarbon seeps on the floor of the Gulf of
Mexico.  I think the nutrient supply provided by the vents and seeps is
what is making the communities possible, not the heat.  The area around
seeps is pretty much the same temperature as the surrounding watermass
(very cold).
|      Michael J. Styzen               Phone: (504) 588-4308            |
|      Shell Offshore Inc.             Room:  OSS-3202

|      P.O. Box 61933                  Email: mstyzen@shellus.com       |
|      New Orleans LA  70161                                            |