Re: 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Martin,
        The energy source is chemical! The heat drives the hot and cool smokers
bringing the sulfur compounds up from solution from basalt below. As for
the similar communities around the natural gas and petroleum seeps in the
ocean, often below photosynthetic cdepth, the carbon isotope ratios in the
critters prove that their carbon and energy sources are the nydrocarbons,.
NOT photosynthesis.
        Some authorities believe that the origin of life on earth might have
started in one of these two ways.

Ray McAllister, Retired Prof. (Emeritus) of Ocean, mcallist@gate.net
Engineering, Dept of OE, Fla. Atlantic Univ., Boca
Raton, FL 33064  (954) 426-0808