Re: dyslocosaurus

At 03:37 PM 4/3/97 -0500, DRosent288@aol.com wrote:
>Is there any information available on Dyslocosaurus polynychius?
>(Saurischia: Sauropodomorpha: Sauropoda: Diplodocidae?
>Dicraeosauridae?).  I saw one mention of this sauropod in
>The Dinosaur Society Dinosaur Encyclopedia, but have not seen any
>other references to it.  The reference wasn't even sure if the
>creature was Jurassic or Cretaceous in date.

The only paper I have ever seen on it is the original description.  This
should be cited in the _Encyclopedia_.

It is true - nobody knows if it is Late Jurassic or Late Cretaceous.  Half
of the paper is a discussion of the authors' attempts to decide the issue.
In the end they admitted failure on this.  This is why they called it
_Dyslocosaurus_ ("misplaced lizard").

The reason for the problem is that the only known specimen was collected
without detailed locality information.  Unfortunately the general locality
specified (a certain county in Montana) includes both extensive Hell Creek
exposures and some of the most northern exposures of the Morrison
Formation.  Even worse, the two occur in the same watershed.  As a result,
the specimen my be Morrison or it may be Hell Creek.  (The authors *think*
it is probably Morrison, but they cannot really give any good reason for
this).

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com