Re: Cladistic questions (long)

Felix Landry wrote:
>Is this dinosaur classification correct?
        A) I'll try to briefly tackle the theropod bit here...
        B) Where'd you get this?
        C) We can never know if a phylogeny is correct or not. If you do not
base your taxonomy on phylogeny, it can *never* be objectively "correct".
        D) This is obviously an attempt to incorporate *All* taxa into a
classification. As such, many of the taxa are provisionally referred, and
the place they are put may not represent actual analysis so much as an "eyeball
 judgement".
        E) Sound like your work, Stan...

(NOTE: my comments are preceeded by a *)

-DINOSAURIA
     -Theropoda
          Eoraptor lunensis
          -Herrerasauria
        *The placement of these groups in Theropoda is debated (Padian & May
1993)
               -Herrerasauridae
                    Aliwalia rex
                    Alwalkeria maleriensis
        *I have never heard of Alwalkeria being placed here, and Aliwalia's
placement has been debated (by Novas?)

          -Herrerasauria
                ?Protoavis texensis
        *As far as I know, there is no evidence for this placement

                         -Procompsognathidae
                              Procompsognathus triassicus
                              Segisaurus halli
        *Hutchinson may eventually have something to say about this...

                         -Podokesauridae
        *Paul has objected to the use of this taxon over Coelophysidae...

                         -Abelisauroidea
        *Has such a taxon been named?

                                   -Carnotaurinae
                                        Indosuchus raptorius
        *Given Chatterjee's recent reconstruction, this seems less likely...

               -Tetanurae
                    -Neotetanurae
        *Interesting that this should end up here...

                    -Neotetanurae
                         ?Afrovenator abakensis
        *Mmmm... I dunno...

                         -Avetheropoda
                              -Carnosauria
                                        -Carcharodontosauridae
                                             Acrocanthosaurus altispinax
        *This is a repeat of "Becklespinax" above...

                                             Bahariosaurus ingens
        *Engh...!

                              -Coelurosauria
                                   -Maniraptoriformes
                                        ?Timimus hermani
        *Who is this??

                                                 -Ornithomimosauria
                                                      -"Protornithomimosauria"
        *As the name in quotes suggests, this is not necessarily a
monopyletic group. Odd that the person who put this together, and obviously
spent some effort avoiding this in other places, chose to do this here.

                                                      -Ornithomimidae

                                        -Maniraptora
                                             ?Microvenator celer
        *Likely an oviraptorsaur or "segnosaur"
                                             -Oviraptorosauria
                                             -Therizinosauroïdea
        *I would say it's a better bet that these two are more closely
related to each other than either is to any other of the taxa here (except
Micro...)
                                                  -Therizinosauridae
        *One of the many "Chilantaisuarus" taxa may belong here...

                                             -Avialae
                                                  -Dromaeosauridae
        *Uh uh... I am not aware of the current definition of Avialae, but
I'd be rather surprised if you could include Dromaeosauridae...

      Jonathan R. Wagner, Dept. of Geosciences, TTU, Lubbock TX 79409
            Web Page:  http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~jrw6f