Re: Cretaceous Extinction comments on John Bois

jamolnar@juno.com wrote:

>Now, I feel I need to vent here, being the person who started all this
>recent extinction  talk.  I thought some of the attacks made on John Bois
>were very nasty and unprofessional.  Disagreeing is fine, but if you want
>a subject to be dropped, just say so.  You don't have to accuse someone
>of being dense or blind to evidence or whatever.  From the threads of
>this discussion I saved, I don't see anything that John said or asked
>that should have provoked this attack.  We can all make up our own minds

This is not a case of someone simply putting forth an idea. That's fine.
This is a case of someone putting forth an idea and insisting on it in
spite of many, many, many professional comments pointing out multitudes of
flaws with the idea. This is a case of someone selectively ignoring certain
facts (pointed out by many on the list) and twisting others to fit the
scenario. Bonnie Blackwell pointed out the main source of frustration with
Mr. Bois and his ideas:

Bonnie Blackwell wrote:

>Why do you not believe what
>the dinosaur experts like Tom Holtz say when they tell you something?
>You repeatedly make arguments that ignore everything they have just said,
>in a feeble attempt to uphold your "stealthy egg" argument for extinction.

This is a case where the same arguments, refuted months before, re-surface
again and again like the villain in a bad Hollywood horror movie that you
just can't kill no matter how many times you shoot him. The many, valid,
professional, reality-based, arguments against the "non-stealthy egg" idea
seem to bounce off Mr. Bois' brain like rubber bullets. Nothing fazes him!
The non-stealthy egg idea raises its ugly head again and again. When this
happens I (and others) get frustrated! The time for being polite with this
idea is past (by about a year). Some people don't get the message unless
you SHOUT or get dramatic and that has the tendency to appear nasty. We're
not doing Mr. Bois a favor if we humor him or patronize him like a child. I
don't want to hurt anybody. BUT... I would like to help someone see past
their myopia and sometimes that takes a bit of a swift kick.

S.S. Lazarus