Re: Preservation bias

At 08:44 PM 4/8/97 -0700, Roger Compton wrote:
>Hello,
>Are there any instances of both plant and animal fossils being found at
>the same time? Can they occur in the same strata and circumstances? If they
>do not, is it possible for this to happen? Or, is there some reason that
>could prevent this, like alkaline or acidic soil conditions favoring one at
>the expense od the other?

Roger-

Yes, there are circumstances where both plant and animal remains are
fossilized in the same stratigraphic horizon.  I know personally of one
such locale, the Boot Hill site, owned by Stonerose Interpretive Center,
Republic, WA.  The specimens included angiosperm leaf fossils and a bone,
from a duck (as I remember).  Fossil feathers are occassionally found too
in association with leaves.

The Klondike Mountain Formation consists in part of lacustrine sediments
that provide excellent preservation.

The real answer to your question though, is that the taphonomic conditions
for plant fossilization usually are low-enery depositional environments,
whereas, vertebrate remains are often found in higher-energy fluvial
settings along point-bars or in over-bank deposits.  Marine or lacustrine
environments can have a combination of both types of fossils.

Regards,
Michael