Re: Dinosaur size determinants.

John Bois wrote:

> I think it was Jim Kirkland who proposed the idea that dinos may
> have been big because of the benefits of the need for less
> energy/gram of body mass in big animals.

While I haven't yet gotten around to reading either of these, I
thought I should share them for those of you that want to get into the
literature on factors affecting body size in different animals:

Day, T. and Taylor, P.D. (1997). "Von Bertalanffy's Growth Equation
     Should not be Used to Model Age and Size at Maturity", _The
     American Naturalist_, 149(2):381-393.

Kozlowski, J. and Weiner, J. (1997). "Interspecific Allometries are
     By-Products of Body-Size Optimization", _The American
     Naturalist_, 149(2):352-380.

I skimmed them a bit, and the first one (in my sequence above) is more
general than you might guess from it's title -- it begins with a
review of studies about body size optimization.  One of the prime
movers in that field is (apparently) Kozlowski.

As John Bois said, I'm "antagonistic" to his egg predation ideas, but
based on past experience I expect him to look these up...  And since
I'm now on the subject -- I hoped the little flamefest engulfing
Mr. Bois would burn itself out.  It looks like it has.  FWIW my
debriefing: Those of you who think that Mr. Bois should learn from
interchanges via the dinosaur list probably ought to start by setting
an example.  IMHO, Mr. Bois was rather well-behaved during the recent
public assaults, and I'm not so sure I'd similarly characterize all of
his assailants.  I do disagree with much of what he says, but I agree
with him that if you can't cite specific instances of any particular
deficiency (in anything or anyone) then you haven't done anybody any
good by throwing out an accusation.  If anyone wants to continue this
discussion please take it up with me, John or whomever else seems
appropriate.  I'm with Tom and Jim that the list should stick to
science -- and answers to questions about data and theory should stay
out in public as long as they're relevant to dinosaurs.

--
Mickey Rowe     (mrowe@indiana.edu)