Re: Preservation bias

At 08:44 PM 4/8/97 -0700, Roger Compton wrote:
>Hello,
>Are there any instances of both plant and animal fossils being found
>at the same time? Can they occur in the same strata and
>circumstances?

Yes and a qualified yes.

Specific example: the Hell Creek and Lance Formations have both animal and
plant fossils. (This is one reason why I chose them for my incomplete
ecology project).

The qualification is that the plant and animal fossils (except for a few
shellfish) are generally in different specific beds within these
formations.  This still leaves them quite close together in places,
sometimes just a few meters apart.

Also, I doubt the Hell Creek is exactly unique in this respect, so I
suspect there are other examples.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com