Re: Preservation bias

At 11:49 AM 4/11/97 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>In Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta, where I volunteered as a
>collector for a few weeks during the summers of 1979 and 1980,
>fossil wood was routinely mistaken (especially by >this< novice) for
>fossil bone.

Intresting.  The first time I visited the "Dinosaur Highway" section of the
Morrison formation I made the opposite error - mistaking dinosaur bone for
fossil wood. (Well, it *was* brown, and had "vascular" traces).  I do not
now remember what made me realize my error.

[For those that do not know, there is a section of road along the ridge
west of Denver and north of Morrison that has been made into a sort of
open-air museum of in-situ fossils].

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com