Re: Whatever prima

At 07:14 AM 4/14/97 -0400, Ronald Orenstein wrote:
>At the moment I am about to refer to "Sinosauropteryx" in a book on birds -
>I need to know if the use of this name is correct.  Can anyone advise me?

   For whatever it's worth:

===

                        Sinosauropteryx prima proper?

   From: Dinogeorge@aol.com

   Phil Currie informs me that the feathered theropod from China was
formally named and preliminarily described in the following paper:

   Ji Qiang & Ji Shuan, 1996. On discovery of the earliest bird fossil in
China and the origin of birds. Chinese Geology 10 (233): 30-33.

   [The journal is a Chinese language publication.]

   I have yet to see the paper, but the feathered theropod is, as noted in
numerous news accounts, named Sinosauropteryx prima. Its publication date
evidently precedes the news releases I noted in my previous post on this
species, so the genus was not a nomen nudum in those news releases. Too bad
none of them cited the paper itself. A longer, more detailed description is
in preparation.

   In addition, the genus was placed in its own family, Sinosauropterygidae,
and order, Sinosauropterygiformes, as if it were some kind of paleobird
genus rather than a theropod dinosaur.

   From: Dinogeorge@aol.com

       In a message dated 97-01-26 03:07:05 EST, jpoling@dinosauria.com