Re: Whatever prima

At 04:29 PM 4/14/97 -0600, you wrote:

>     Some people spend thier whole lives waiting for Mr. or Mrs. Right.
>Fedducia seems prepared to be waiting his whole life for the Right
>Bird.  This will presumably be something that will look as birdy as
>theropods, have as many or more bird-like traits then theropods, and yet
>NOT BE A THEROPOD.

Yep.  That's exactly what he and his colleagues are looking for: an animal
which is sufficiently primitive to be a bird ancestor, yet is not a
theropod, but has one or two bird like characters.

>     Also, exactly where among thecodonts (especially considering
>how Sereno and others have shuffled things around recently) does Fedducia
>and other non-dinosaur-origin people have birds branching off?  Does he
>even have a particular group in mind?

Nope.  Many of the critters that he's most excited about (aka,
Megalancosaurus and the other drepanosaurids) may not even be
archosauromorphs, much less true archosaurs.

One author (maybe Feduccia, maybe Martin, maybe Tarsitano, will try and hunt
it up) once said they considered as potential bird ancestors any archosaur
between Euparkeria and Lagosuchus: in other words, any archosaur EXCEPT
dinosaurs.

It's quite sad, really...

>     By the way, I think the name _Sinosauropteryx_ is just lovely.  I
>hope it sticks.

Personally, I don't much care for the "-pteryx" part, because there is
nothing "wing-like" about that forelimb.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661