Re: Ostrom's China trip

>There was a brief note in last week's New Scientist saying Ostrom & co. had
>returned from China after examining the 'feathered' specimen.   John Ostrom
>said they weren't feathers, but "long parallel arrays of fibres".   Anyone
>have
>further information or comment on this?
>
>Tony Canning
>tonyc@foe.co.uk

All four of the visitors, John Ostrom, Alan Brush, Larry Martin, and Peter
Wellnhofer, agreed on that conclusion. They are not hairs in the sense of
mammalian hairs, which I'm told have a different origin than feathers. All
four will be talking about their conclusions April 24 at the Academy of
Natural Sciences in Philadelphia; the academy sponsored the trip. The story
is on New Scientist's web site.

Jeff Hecht     Boston Correspondent    New Scientist magazine
525 Auburn St.,          Auburndale, MA 02166             USA
tel 617-965-3834 fax 617-332-4760 e-mail jhecht@world.std.com
see New Scientist on the Web: URL http://www.newscientist.com/