Re: Sinosauropteryx

At 03:39 PM 4/15/97 EDT, you wrote:
>DinoListers,

First (and I hope the others on the list don't mind), I want to thank you
presenting this most excellent information!!  I look forward to hearing more.

(Unfortunately, I have a talk at the Smithsonian and a class in the
afternoon on the 24th, dammit, so I won't be able to take a Philly
roadtrip... :-(

Secondly...

>    1. In our opinion the structures on Sinosauropteryx are not feathers in
> the sense of any modern feather morphology. The might represent some sort
> of protofeather, but homology can only be established by internal and
> perhaps molecular evidence. Microscopic work, both SEM and perhaps TEM
> of thin sections would help.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, PLEASE!!  Is there anything any of us can do to help
convince the teams to get this done ASAP?  Heck, I'd settle for a nice,
black & white, low angle lighting micrograph for now!

>    4. We saw other specimens such as the newly found and described (in
>Protarchaeopteryx. Details will just have to wait for a another posting.

(As I have so often reminded others on the list that it takes time before
details on new specimens are available, I will refrain from making public
pleas for information and wait [impatiently] for further postings...)

Thanks again!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661