Re: paleo pioneers

> I could use a little help regarding biographical details on a few paleo
>  pioneers.  Any legit comments about their resumes and achievements, even
>  personal quirks would be ever so appreciated.
>
>  Bell Hatcher

That's John Bell Hatcher...

Hi Kel,

Hatcher was O.C. Marsh's faithful assistant before going off on his own out
west. During the period 1887-88, Hatcher worked the iron ore mines of
Maryland and collected a large number of dinosaur and other fossils from the
Arundel Clay unit of the Potomac Group. Some of the dinosaurs described by
Marsh (collected by Hatcher) were, Astrodon altus,and  Astrodon nanus  (cf
 Pleurocoelus  sp.) , Priconodon crassus and Allosaurus medius ( quite likely
an Acrocanthosaur).
Hatcher's efforts on behalf of Marsh resulted in the most dinosaur material
to have ever been collected in Maryland withn A. B. Bibbins ( another giant
in Paleo) coming in a close second and yours truly (who will eventually
surpass even Hatcher).

While not biographies of the man per se, the following refs should help you
in your search for they contain relevant tidbits of info, and some bio, on
one who contributed so much to  paleontology.

Kranz, P. K, 1989, Dinosaurs in Maryland. , Maryland Geologic Survey
Educational        Series no.6, 34 p.

Kranz, P.K, 1996,  Notes on the sedimentary iron ores of Maryland and their
dinosaurian fauna, in Brezinski, D. K., and Reger, J. P. (eds), Studies in
Maryland Geology- In commemoration of the centennial of  the Maryland
 Geological Survey. Special Publication no.3, p.87-115

Both of the above contain excerpts from Hatcher's diary from his Maryland
dinos days, the latter with a photo of Hatcher....

And,

Weishampel, D. B., and Young, L..,  1996, Dinosaurs of the east coast. Johns
Hopkins University Press. 275 p.

A simply 'must have' for everyone who loves paleontology! Also with a photo
of the man.

And, last but not least,

Lipka, T. R., 1996, Recovery of new dinosaur and other fossils from the Early
Cretaceous Arundel Clay facies (Potomac Group) of central Maryland, U.S.A., in
  Babcock, L. E., and Ausich, W. I. (eds), Paleontological Society of America
Special Publication no.8, p.241.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies

P.S.
Try this URL for the Smithsonian Institution, it's an old one so I'm not sure
if is still valid.
http://www.si.edu/resource/library/start.html